Junior Software Developer Android
Berlin | permanent | immediate
We conceptualize and develop software solutions for Android and iOS. We thoroughly analyze our clients’ issues to provide them with extra value. As an Android developer, you will be working as part of our team to develop new apps as well as to maintain and refine existing client apps.
HOW WE WORK
At Karlmax Berlin, fixed teams work using cross-functional and agile methodologies on client projects from different industries. Even small projects are done as a team and so profit from all developer’s know-how. In everyday work, we use processes following SCRUM and Kanban and thereby continually work on improving them in an iterative fashion. For quality and flexibility, we implement code reviews, continuous integration and automated tests.
These days, new Android projects start in Kotlin. Maintenance of existing projects is in some cases still continued in Java. This year we shipped our first Flutter apps.
We organize our tasks in Jira, or partly with other systems that our clients use. For source code management, we rely on Git and the workflow Gitflow. Code review is performed before integrating a feature branch. We implement continuous integration with Jenkins and deliver test versions via HockeyApp and the Google Play Alpha channel. For testing we apply an appropriate combination of Unit Tests, Espresso tests and manual tests on various devices in our test device pool.
When developing for Android, we use Retrofit for accessing REST-APIs. Some of our recent projects use ViewModels and LiveData, Room, Data Binding, Koin and Android KTX. Kotlin Coroutines have replaced rxJava for most use cases. Some projects follow the Model-View-Presenter pattern, others Model-View-Viewmodel or Clean Architecture. Sometimes prototypes or projects of a very short lifespan may “Keep it simple”.
We do not expect you to know all the tools, frameworks and principles mentioned above. We do expect you to be open and a steady learner. Some apps are developed from scratch and you are involved in defining the architecture from day one. Other projects have an existing code base and we improve them along with adding new features and updates.
On acquiring a new project, input from our teams is an important part of the estimation process and offer. This is how we incorporate the technical side of a new project from the very beginning. We plan our work for the long term with everyone involved, so that work-life balance is not an empty promise.
OUR OFFER TO YOU
- Work contract from 30 to 40 hours per week, depending on your personal preference
- Flexible working times with core hours
- A modern-equipped workplace with a MacBook and a customizable desk environment
- Development opportunities such as time for exploring new APIs, frameworks and tools; or by attending conferences
- A central, spacious office directly on Gleisdreieck Park with very good transportation connections
- Bike locker room with shower
- Coffee, water, fruit and comfort food for those times when only sugar helps
OUR EXPECTATIONS FROM YOU
- Kotlin or Java experience, good knowledge of object-oriented design
- Hands-on experience with Android development and the desire to deepen your knowledge
- Strong communication skills
- English fluency and at least basic German with willingness to improve
- The readiness to listen to everybody including non-technical people combined with the ability to understand them. Also, the ability to put yourself in the place of the app’s users
If this position looks good to you, then we would like to get to know you. Write us what we should know about you. How do you like to work? Under which conditions do you work best? We are looking forward to authentic people who are fun to work with in a multidisciplinary team.
We are looking forward to your application. Please email it to us with all attachments in PDF format. Also, let us know what you expect from your future employer. Please also include when you can start as well as your salary expectations.